Monday, July 11, 2011

The Liberal Moral Standard as Revealed by James Taggart in Atlas Shrugged.

As I read this tirade by James Taggart in Atlas Shrugged, it hit me that this was the whole essence and embodiment of the liberal moral standard and belief of today:

"Why can't I have my wish as you always have yours? Why shouldn't I be given the fulfillment of my desires as you always fulfill any desire of your own? Why should you be happy while I suffer?... You proclaim the pursuit of happiness, but you doom me to frustration. Don't I have the right to demand any form of happiness I choose? Isn't that a debt which you owe me?...

"It's your sin if I suffer! It's your moral failure!... I'm your responsibility, but you've failed to supply my wants, therefore you're guilty! All of mankind's moral leaders have said so for centuries... you're so proud of yourself you think that you're pure and good- but you can't be good, so long as I'm wretched. My misery is the measure of your sin. My contentment is the measure of your virtue. I want this kind of world, today's world, it gives me my share of authority, it allows me to feel important - make it work for me! - do something!... it's your problem and your duty! You have the privilege of strength, but I - I have the right of weakness! That's a moral absolute!"

The part that struck me so hard, you "have the privilege of strength, but I... have the right of weakness," is the crux of the liberal moral standard. Those who are strong and productive, according to liberals, have a moral duty to provide for the weak's contentment, authority, and feeling of importance, with the weak having the moral right to demand and receive it from them. Until society is liberated from this belief, all talk about spending cuts, deficit reduction, and taxation will be for naught because the clamor for more social spending and "shared sacrifice" by the rich will be too raucous for the majority of politicians to ignore and openly stand against.
http://chumly.com/n/a5f521

No comments:

Post a Comment